Considering Moving To The US With Your Spouse? Here Are Some Helpful Tips To Get You Started

If you are looking to migrate to the US in the near future with your spouse, there are a number of steps you need to take to plan your move accordingly. To make sure you have all your paperwork in order, it is recommended you speak to a spouse visa lawyer as soon as possible so you can get everything in order. 

Immigrant visa holders need to get an extension right before their permit expires. Temporary stay is beneficial when the visa holder wants to remain in the US longer than permitted by their visa type. To establish permanent residence, you need to file the application for adjustment of status or the application for an immigrant visa on or before the expiry date.

If you are already a British citizen, you don’t need to sign a Visa Waiver Program. However, you must obtain a Spouse Visa or ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain), if you want to enter the US. Most companies do offering US immigration services assist in this application. 

Before you head to the USA, there are some steps you need to follow:

1. Fill in Form DS-160.

The DS-160 is the online application form for all non-immigrant visa applicants (except children under 14 who can apply using the DS-11). It is used by applicants to apply for a non-immigrant visa and must be filled out electronically. The form is available in English, Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Russian and Spanish.

When you fill out the DS-160 you will be asked to provide your personal information (name, date of birth, etc.), contact information, travel information and family information as well as education and work experience. You will also be asked about your motivation for traveling to the United States and what you plan to do while there.

Once the entire application has been filled out it must be printed legibly on standard letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11) and signed with an ink signature in black or blue ballpoint pen. The form can be available from the U.S. Embassy website.

2. Pay your application fee.

The MRV fee is an additional fee that is collected by the Department of Homeland security upon the filing of a petition. The fee is a processing fee, and is not refundable under any circumstances.

The MRV fee can be paid by check or money order made payable to Department of Homeland Security. The fees may also be paid by credit card; however, credit card payments will incur additional fees. Visa applicants may pay with cash if the local USCIS office accepts cash.

3. Compile the US visa document file.

Your visa processing time depends on the embassy or consulate you’re applying to. Even though the official procedure takes no more than three to five days, sometimes applications can take up to 6 months or even longer, especially if you haven’t provided all necessary documents and information, or you have failed to comply with instructions regarding your documents.

4. Attend the visa interview.

You have to be prepared for the appointment ahead of time since it can be cancelled if you don’t show up on time. Also, it is important that you are well prepared when it comes to your documents.

Keep in mind that before attending the visa interview, you will have to undergo some fingerprint scanning and data entry processes. The interview will last for about 5 minutes. During this short period of time, the consular officer will ask you questions about your application and your reason for travel. Be honest, as it can result in an unfavorable decision if you don’t tell the truth.

5. Result

If you have a Spouse visa and you want to travel to the US for leisure, you will get a C-1 visa. However, this type of visa is only valid for 10 days. It is recommended that you apply for a multiple entry visa if you need to make several trips to the US in a given year.

Once your visa has been approved, you will be given an I-94 card which is an identification document that must be carried at all times when you are in the United States. It will state how long you are permitted to stay in the country and it is important that you never overstay this time limit. It is possible for you to be detained by authorities or even deported if you stay beyond this period of time. Getting a fiance visa for marriage might be an easy process for you when you migrate to the UK. The application process for ILR for the US is almost the same.

Follow these steps before you plan your move to the US with your spouse, and you will be sure to set off on the right foot.