WEEKLY WRAP UP: Are You The Chosen 5%?

Are you the chosen 5%? Do you think we are talking about wealth or economics? You’d be wrong. But you’d be right in thinking that number represents something dismal.

According to the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders who cited  a study by the Renfrew Center Foundation for Eating Disorders, the body type portrayed in advertising as the ideal is possessed naturally by only 5% of American females. Ok so what does that mean for the rest of the 95% of the population?

Asha Dahya shares her thoughts in the Weekly Wrap Up on how we as a society can combat this, by citing two great examples which have gone viral recently.

One of them was the hashtag #losehatenotweight created by author and body image activist Virgie Tovar, who wants to empower women to love their bodies no matter what their size. This is not her promoting obesity, as some critics and plenty of internet trolls are saying. It is a powerful statement about embracing who you are at your core, despite whatever you are working to change.

The other example she spoke about was blogger Jes Baker, who created yet another winning photography project to challenge the status quo when it comes to body image. Since we have been so brainwashed by the media, fashion industry, advertising and the diet industry to believe that only 5% of female bodies should be seen as “beautiful” and “normal”. So she and photographer Liora K gathered 96 women and took photos of them in their underwear.

The photos, which you can see in the video below, will no doubt be offensive to many people, but that is the point. Why are so many varieties of women’s bodies so offensive to the public? Because we have taught to only value a select few, 5% to be exact.

Take a look at Asha’s passionate video below where she calls foul on the very industries designed to make us feel insecure and profit greatly off this.

Don’t forget to subscribe to our Youtube Channel so that you never miss an episode of the Weekly Wrap up where Asha talks about a trending topic that is relevant to women.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.